Request/Suggestion - "Smart" Collection Folders

I miss being able to view experiment entries by project. I think a feature that allowed for “smart” collection folders would be useful, i.e. any entry that had keywords or phrases would automatically be compiled in that folder (just like in Papers, or iTunes). Smart collection folders could replace/improve the view by project feature from Findings 1.

Indeed, that’s on our todo list.

Note that you can filter by project using the search bar: click the search icon, then click the project icon and select the project you want to see. Let me know how it works out for you, and how this filter bar can be improved. I think that maybe it was a mistake to hide it when the search field is not selected.

While the automatic sorting would really be a nice thing to have, in my experience the biggest improvement in general is the sidebar organization with a folder structure.

Oh, and if you’re planning on an organization feature, autocompletion for tags and nested tags would make the bliss complete :drooling_face: … well, maybe for version 3 :wink:

Right. The idea is that the filter bar would be a nice way to build a smart folder: select something in the sidebar (e.g. ongoing), apply different filters (e.g. by project), then save as smart folder.

yes, the sidebar is nice! would be great to see some customization in the future. For example, if you don’t want to use stickies, you could remove it from being seen in the side bar to keep it cleaner.

I cannot seem to find a project option when I click on the search - I see the “experiment, meeting note…” options but nothing for projects. I am looking in the wrong place? I guess I also can’t seem to find how to assign a new experiment to a project like you would in Findings 1.

Personally, I found the project filter view in Findings 1 very useful. I often want to look at entries for a project chronologically - when I’m not exactly sure where I need to look but want to scan things over. Having a folder in the sidebar for a whole project would meet this need.

Re: the search bar being hidden, I think I agree with you. It’s also easy to slightly mis-cue a click, or click the wrong option by accident, and then it goes back to being hidden and you have to go back to the first click…

I meant ‘collections’, not sure if that was clear. It only shows up if you do not select a collection in the sidebar.

Having a folder in the sidebar for a whole project would meet this need.

Normally, all the projects from Findings 1 should have become collections in FINdings 2. If that’s not the case, it’s probably because you ran an early beta version that had some issues with the migration.

You can create those collections again using the menu Findings > Migrate Legacy Projects.

Once the collections are there, you can simply select a collection to see its content.

It’s true that if you don’t have collections, this must have been confusing :slight_smile:

Ah, I see. I missed that… thanks, I will give that a try!

It worked perfectly!

1 Like

With this option, I am having trouble updating the collection titles propagating throughout my computers. Collection names are not syncing. Also when I import legacy projects again, then updated names of collections in findings 2 are reverted to old ones.

With this option, I am having trouble updating the collection titles propagating throughout my computers. Collection names are not syncing. Also when I import legacy projects again, then updated names of collections in findings 2 are reverted to old ones.

Sorry about this issue. It might be related to the bug you reported on another thread. If you send me the library, I hope to be able to understand what may be going on. Thanks for your patience!

I forgot to post here, but the collection sync issue is fixed in Findings 2.0, currently in beta, see: https://community.findingsapp.com/t/beta-release-findings-2-0-2-build-5322/226

I originally came to the forum today to request a way to filter the view by status, only to find out it was possible all along. And I spent considerable time looking for just such a feature!

Minor bug report with the filtering buttons: After clicking one and bringing its drop-down options out, if you try to click on another option, the entire search bar collapses. If you instead click on one bringing out its options, click on the same option again to close its options, you can then proceed to click on another without closing the search bar.
I think you’re right, tho, and it’s a better approach to simply not collapse the search bar. :slight_smile:

1 Like