Req: Just title option for Export to PDF window

Hey Findings,

The way the export to PDF window currently works, it defaults to “[Experiment date range] [Experiment Title]”. I include a coding system in my titles that is better for organizing my folders than date range.

Currently I just delete the date out of the box each time I’m exporting a PDF. It’s not terribly inconvenient, but I figured I’d ask if there’s a way you could include a setting to decide the default format for populating that field.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

1 Like

Ha, it’s tricky. Of course, it would seem we just need a preference, but I don’t like having tons of preferences for relatively trivial things. On the other hand, it’s kind of silly to have this thing happen every time, supposedly to help you, but in fact hindering you a bit. Here is what I will try maybe in the next version: I will detect if the user deletes the date from the title, and if that’s the case, will not include it in the next export.

Out of curiosity, what kind of titles do you use? Does it start with a digit? I am asking because things could get confusing.

Charles

It does start with a number. It mirrors the way paper notebooks work, where I would number the books and then the pages. With Findings, I number each collection and then all of the experiments within it. This coding system is short enough to write on a tube, so that if I have tube 07-42 I instantly know where to find the corresponding documents.

Having this at the head of the title also makes sorting files alphabetically get them sorted by project, then by experimental order.

In the end, it’s not terribly in convenient to delete the date, but I figured I’d ask in case it was a simple fix.

1 Like