Journal Entries Missing


#1

What I did: Looked in the Journal

What happened: Lots of things that I had written up in Findings 1 are not visible (but some are… and it doesn’t seem to be linked to whether the experiment is complete or not. I even marked an experiment as complete to see if it would then appear and it didn’t)

What I expected: All of my experiments to be visible

Things that might be helpful to know (Findings version, OS and model, etc): Findings 2, Build 5207.13ce0840, OS X 10.11


#2

I am sorry about the missing entries, and would like to understand what happened there… It looks like something may have gone wrong in the initial setup of the library. Here are instructions to “clean” the derived data that Findings uses for various purposes. This may help restore a proper cache for the journal creation. Please let me know if that does not help, so I can look into some other potential cause.

First, you will need to get to your Findings support folder on disk:

  • In Findings, choose the menu Findings > Preferences
  • In the preferences, choose the ‘Library’ tab
  • Press the button ‘Reveal in Finder’ in the ‘Derived Data’ box
  • This will select a folder called ‘Findings’ in the Finder, which contains 3 subfolders
  • Quit Findings
  • Back in Finder, rename the subfolder ‘DerivedInfo’ to be instead called ‘DerivedInfo-OLD’ (do not change anything else in the ‘Findings’ folder)
  • Start Findings again

Initially, the app will seem empty. Gradually, all your entries and protocols will appear. It will be processor intensive, as Findings is rebuilding a cache of all your documents, including the search index, a database for the user interface and your journal.

If all is good, you can move the ‘DerivedInfo-OLD’ folder to the trash. Let me know how it goes!


#3

Thanks very much for your reply!

I did as you suggested, though I had to rename the DerivedInfoV2 folder, as I still have findings 1 on my computer too (though not open at the same time).

Initially it opened fine but was completely empty and wasn’t loading any info at all. Then it crashed repeatedly, so I gave up for a little while. Then I opened findings 1 to check on something I need to do today, closed it again, and then tried findings 2, and it opened but with the same problem as before - not everything is displayed in the journal.

Any other suggestions?
Thanks


#4

I did as you suggested, though I had to rename the DerivedInfoV2 folder, as I still have findings 1 on my computer too (though not open at the same time).

Ah sorry indeed the folder is different in Findings 2 and named ‘DerivedInfoV2’. I need to update my snippet!

In any case, thanks for your patience. It looks like there might be something unusual in your library that triggers those crashes and result in the journal not being generated properly.

It seems that the best option would be for me to have access to your library, and see in more details what is triggering the issue. Could you contact me by email at feedback@findingsapp.com so I can give you instructions?

In addition, have you sent the crash reports? Normally, these would appear in Findings 2 when you start it again. Since the app will only load the latest one, could you please also send the crash reports manually?

Here is how to access those:

  1. First, open your Library folder, you need to use the Go menu in the Finder and press the option key. This will add a ‘Library’ item to the list, and will give you access to the hidden folder.

  2. Inside the ‘Library’ folder, open the ‘Logs’ folder

  3. Inside the ‘Logs’ folder, open the ‘DiagnosticReports’ folder

  4. Look a the files in that last folder; they are all crash reports named with the date of the crash and the application name; there should be at least one crash report with the name ‘Findings’ in it

  5. Add the Findings crash reports you find to your email

Thanks for your patience!

Charles


#5

I have a similar problem: Most entries are not visible in journal. that as pity, because it would have been a nice feature if working.


#6

Hi Heike,

Sorry about the journal issue. I am still looking into the issue that seems to be affecting a handful of users. It looks like something is blocking the PDF creation in some of the entries somehow.

Does it help if you reset the ‘Revisions’ database? First, you will need to get to your Findings support folder on disk:

  • In Findings, choose the menu Findings > Preferences
  • In the preferences, choose the ‘Library’ tab
  • Press the button ‘Reveal in Finder’ in the box labeled ‘Derived Data’
  • This will select a folder called ‘Findings’ in the Finder, which contains 3 subfolders
  • Quit Findings
  • Back in Finder, open the folder ‘DerivedInfoV2’
  • In that folder rename the subfolder ‘Revisions’ to be instead called ‘Revisions-OLD’ (do not change anything else)
  • Start Findings again

It will be processor intensive, as Findings is rebuilding a cache of all your documents, including the journal, search index and a database for the user interface.

If all is good, you can move the ‘Revisions-OLD’ folder to the trash. Let me know how it goes!