Can’t type in my experiments — UPDATE: fixed in beta 2.0.2 build 5290

I can’t seem to type in any of my experiments after the newest update (2.0.2). If i click the experiment title, I can edit that, but if i try to edit the body of the experiment, I get the error “boop” sound and nothing types.

Thank you for your help!
Best,
Caroline

Update: I can type and edit my protocols. It only appears to be experiments. It is affecting all experiments, regardless of their status (i.e. ongoing, signed, etc)

Thanks for the report. I have moved the discussion to the ‘Beta’ category, as version 2.0.2 is still in beta. I really appreciate you are testing the beta, by the way! It’s also very useful to have feedback sent back so quickly so I can work on fixing the potential bugs introduced with the changes in the newest version.

I am not able to reproduce this particular bug yet, though I have heard similar reports from other users via private email. I really need to figure out what could be going on.

Now, just to clarify, you mention that protocols are not affected, but experiments are. Is that also an issue with other types of entries like standalone stickies, research notes and meeting notes? Does it depend on what is selected in the left sidebar (collections, status groups, etc)? Does it change anything if you quit the app and then restart it?

To help understand the issue, could you please let me know what log messages are output by Console.app when the issue appears? You will find Console.app inside your Applications folder, under Utilities. If necessary, please select the item ‘system.log’ in the sidebar on the left. You can filter out messages using the search field and the query ‘findings’. For older messages, you have to load them explicitly by clicking the “Earlier” button. You can then select the messages in the window, choose the ‘Copy’ menu item (cmd-C) and paste the text in your email (please do not send a screenshot of the Console app, it usually trims part of the messages).

Many thanks for the feedback!

Charles

Thank you for the quick response! So I just did a quick test. It looks like any entry other than protocols are affected. I tried creating new types of entries, and had the problem with all of them. It doesn’t seem to depend on what is selected in the sidebar. If I navigate to the experiment through the status sidebar or the collections sidebar, I still have the same issue. I have quit and restarted the app as well as my computer, still no change.

There don’t appear to be any log messages that contains “findings” when i click system.log. There also doesn’t appear to be a button to show earlier messages.

Thank you for your help!

If i go into my device’s console folder, I see the following when I try to edit a given experiment:

default 08:29:22.197881 -0500 Findings 0x7f87d3c2fb80 - PerformanceMonitor::measureCPUUsageInActivityState: Process is using 0.5% CPU in state: VisibleNonActive
default 08:29:25.280016 -0500 systemsoundserverd 687: -> Incoming Request : actionID 4096, inClientPID 1452(Findings), inBehavior 1, customVibeDataProvided 0, loop 0, loopPeriod 0.000000, inFlags 0, inClientCompletionToken 105
default 08:29:25.395412 -0500 systemsoundserverd 687: -> Incoming Request : actionID 4096, inClientPID 1452(Findings), inBehavior 1, customVibeDataProvided 0, loop 0, loopPeriod 0.000000, inFlags 0, inClientCompletionToken 106
default 08:29:25.527837 -0500 systemsoundserverd 687: -> Incoming Request : actionID 4096, inClientPID 1452(Findings), inBehavior 1, customVibeDataProvided 0, loop 0, loopPeriod 0.000000, inFlags 0, inClientCompletionToken 107
default 08:29:27.511518 -0500 Findings 0x7f87d3c2fb80 - PerformanceMonitor::measureCPUUsageInActivityState: Process is using 13.2% CPU in state: VisibleAndActive
default 08:29:38.584206 -0500 Findings Write options: 8 – URL: – purposeID: 7443FE91-6A64-42DB-B510-604CD270BC6F – claimID: C066733E-335B-4969-A6FE-C3AB310C95F3
default 08:29:38.584932 -0500 Findings Claim C066733E-335B-4969-A6FE-C3AB310C95F3 granted in client
default 08:29:38.584968 -0500 Findings Claim C066733E-335B-4969-A6FE-C3AB310C95F3 invoked in client

Another update: I tried downloading the 2.0.1 version from the website temporarily to be able to edit my experiments, and it has the same issue for me

Now there are some in system.log when I try to edit experiments:

Feb 27 08:31:46 Findings[1452]: BUG in libdispatch client: kevent[mach_recv] monitored resource vanished before the source cancel handler was invoked
Feb 27 08:34:50 Findings[7869]: DEPRECATED USE in libdispatch client: Setting timer interval to 0 requests a 1ns timer, did you mean FOREVER (a one-shot timer)?
Feb 27 08:43:46 Findings[7981]: DEPRECATED USE in libdispatch client: Setting timer interval to 0 requests a 1ns timer, did you mean FOREVER (a one-shot timer)?
Feb 27 08:46:49 Findings[7998]: DEPRECATED USE in libdispatch client: Setting timer interval to 0 requests a 1ns timer, did you mean FOREVER (a one-shot timer)?

Another error that pops up in my device’s log is the following:

error 08:51:13.881670 -0500 Findings database corruption at line 68632 of [2b0954060f]
error 08:51:13.881702 -0500 Findings database disk image is malformed

Thanks for all the logs. I am still unsure what is going on, as most of those messages are actually harmless. Now, the last ones about database corruption could potentially be relevant, though the content is too limited to understand which database this is about (the error messages are not directly from Findings code). Could you contact me privately by email at feedback@findingsapp.com? It would be useful to have the entire content of your library to understand what could be going on and reproduce the issue on my machine.

Not sure if this helps or not, but it looks like I can also change the width of tables in experiments, but I can not edit their content

1 Like

I have the same problem using version 2.0.1.
I could not type or delete any paragraphs of the entry.
I can select sentences or words, but cannot modify at all.
When I modify one of the entries using iPad, the modification
is also made on Desktop PC (iMac, OSX Sierra).
I would be happy if you could share information on that.
The last time I used the software from PC was on 20/feb/2018.
I hope that it helps to improve.
Thanks,

I found that I could type in titles or aims but not in the paragraphs or contents.
When point the “plus” mark which appears on the left to the paragraphs,
if I crick it, some menu appeared previously. Now I did not find any changes.
Only menu appears is “reload” by right cricking. But again, nothing happens by left crick.

One thing I realized is I found in “options” in “preferences”. PDF Export is out of control.
It says “This option can only be disabled if you have a paid license.”, even though I paid
and activated when I got the software. Is it related to the issue? or normal?

This is an unrelated bug that is fixed in Findings 2.0.2 (in beta)

I have the same problem using version 2.0.1.

Indeed, it looks like it’s actually not directly related to the beta. I think I may have an idea. Can you send me by private email (please do not post on this public discussion) the file called ‘Info.plist’ that you will find in the folder ‘PersistentInfoV2’. To get to this folder, do the following in Findings:

Here is how to get to the configuration file ‘Info.plist’ for your Findings installation on your Mac:

• In Findings, choose the menu Findings > Preferences
  • In the preferences, choose the ‘Library’ tab
  • Press the arrow button in the ‘Derived Data’ box
  • This will select a folder called ‘Findings’ in the Finder
  • In this folder, you will find the subfolder ‘PersistentInfoV2’ then the file ‘Info.plist’
  • email the file to feedback@findingsapp.com

Thanks for your patience!

1 Like

Hi all,

The bug has been fixed! Please use the latest beta of Findings, which is now 2.0.2, build 5290. We have more information about beta versions here: https://community.findingsapp.com/t/how-to-try-beta-versions-of-findings/56

Thanks for your patience and thanks for everyone’s help!

Charles